Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ground Lamb Curry

Yesterday, during our almost daily ritual of roaming hungry through Jewel scavenging for something fast to make for dinner at 8:00 at night that is Whole Life Challenge approved and that we're not bored to tears of, I decided to free-form my own Mediterranean dish after being inspired by a package of ground lamb.

It's reminiscent of a curry dish you'd find at an Indian or Mediterranean restaurant, and I also likened it to a Lamb Vindaloo dish that I love (though not nearly as spicy). It turned out great! I bought some of my fresh veggies pre-cut in steamer bags to cut down on prep time–I was so hungry I would have just as soon diced my left arm.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb ground lamb
  • 1 small-to-medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of pressed garlic
  • 2 firm roma tomatos
  • 1 bag of cubed, fresh butternut squash
  • 1 bag of cut, fresh cauliflower
  • a lot of curry powder
  • a lot of cumin
  • a moderate amount of chili powder
  • a little bit of cayenne pepper powder
  • a little bit of sea salt
  • a little bit of pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 T bacon fat
I never measure my spices, but this is a rough ratio. Use each to taste based on your desired flavor mix. Would also be good with some mint leaves.

Instructions:
  1. Brown lamb in pan with bacon fat, garlic and diced onion over medium-high heat
  2. While lamb is cooking, steam squash and cauliflower in the microwave per the bag's instructions
  3. Combine cooked vegetables and all spices into pan with meat and reduce heat to medium-low
  4. Let simmer for 5 min, stirring frequently
  5. Serve with Terra Original Vegetable Chips and Tribe Classic Hummus
Total prep/cook time: 10-15 min

No comments:

Post a Comment