Thursday, November 21, 2013

White Bean Chicken Chili

Inspired by my favorite chili from Mezza Mediterranean Grill



During the Whole Life Challenge I made a LOT of chili, which can be a pretty versatile and filling meal if you're open to changing up the flavor palette. Mezza has this amazing white bean chicken chili that I eat at least once every two weeks for lunch. During the Whole Life Challenge, I had to ask the business for the ingredients list to know if I could eat it or not. Since it has a chicken stock base and uses canned ingredients preserved in citric acid or other WLC non-approved ingredients, I wasn't allowed to eat it. And, since I'm not into making my own chicken stock, I couldn't make it during the challenge either. If you want to be WLC compliant, you can make this with your own stock, use fresh ingredients instead of cans and ditch the corn starch. It's definitely possible. I'm not going to link you to any substitute resources, because I don't care enough. Google it.

Since they gave me the ingredients list, just not the proportions, I got to work as soon as the challenge ended. Believe it or not, I was able to find all the ingredients I needed at Aldi. While it didn't turn out identical to my Mezza favorite, it was a damn good and a recipe I'll likely be playing around a lot with in the future. Here it is:

Ingredients

  • 2 cans of great northern beans, 1 with liquid
  • 4oz can green chiles with juice
  • 2 jalepenos, diced, with as many seeds as you desire for spice level–I used all the seeds and it had a nice kick
  • 12oz jar roasted poblano peppers, drained
  • 2 medium yellow onions, diced
  • 6c shredded chicken
  • 3.5c chicken stock
  • 2T corn starch
  • 1T black pepper
  • 1t sea salt (or to taste)
  • 1T cumin
  • 1/2T chili powder

Instructions

  • Combine all ingredients in large crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment